Next week, the Japanese group TFG, who are made up of 7 stage actors and debuted on July 17th 2019 with their party tune single My Dear Summer, release their first album titled celebraTion.
But who are TFG, and as a fan of 2.5d theater, why should you be interested in them? As a fan myself, I decided to look deeper into the group, why they were formed and discover more about its seven members. TFG were formed in 2019 and released their debut single in the summer. On the surface, they look and sound just like any other music group in Japan but if you look a little closer, you’ll find that all of these faces are familiar to fans of Japan’s 2.5d industry.
So who exactly are TFG?
TFG (which stands for Touchable FraGrance) were formed by the talent agency Spacecraft, and all seven members have and are still acting on stage. Although they usually perform as actors, the purpose of this project is for the members to be able to express themselves through music and to hone their skills as individual artists.
The group’s aim is to be the industry’s first group which stimulates all five senses. The senses “sight” and “hearing” are accomplished through live performances and music, “touch” through direct contact at events, “taste” from original food and drink, and “smell” through their unique original fragrances.
Who are the members?
The group is made up of seven young stage actors: Akazawa Ryotaro, Maekawa Yuuki, Sato Nobunaga, Sakagaki Reizi, Hotta Reo, Sakuraba Haruto, and Kento. If you are familiar with the world of 2.5d stage, then you probably recognise one or more of these names, but let’s delve a little deeper into each of the members.
- Birthdate: January 11th, 1997
- Hometown: Kanagawa Prefecture
- Hobbies: Baseball, video editing, yo-yo
- Theme colour: Red
- Fragrance: Spicy Note
- Member Site: https://akazawa-ryotaro.net
- Twitter: @akazawa_taro
- His favourite food is eggs, but he hates tomatoes.
- During his school days, he was the student council president.
- His favourite movies are The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.
- His dream when he was young was to own an Aquarium.
Akazawa Ryotaro made his stage debut in 2015 in CHaCK-UP―Episode.0― and is very active within 2.5d theater, most well-known for his roles as UNDEAD’s Ogami Koga in Ensemble Stars on Stage, Autumn Troupe’s Nanao Taichi in Mankai Stage A3, and Todomatsu in Osomatsu on Stage.
His fragrance is Spicy Note, stimulating and thrilling and made up of ginger, black pepper and frankincense essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The savoury and rich sweetness is fragrant and gradually changes to a rich and adult fragrance. If you laugh innocently, you will suddenly go somewhere… A fragrance with such danger.”
- Birthdate: December 17th 1997
- Hometown: Tokyo
- Skills & Hobbies: Sword fighting, dance, walking, reading, photography, road bike
- Theme colour: Blue
- Fragrance: Herbal Note
- Member Site: https://maekawa-yuki.net
- Twitter: @yuyukiki535
- He was a member of his school’s drama club during Jr High and High School.
- He describes himself as shy but sociable, and mentally strong.
- His favourite food is omurice, although he thinks that is childish.
- When asked when he feels happiest, he said when he’s sleeping.
Maekawa Yuuki’s stage debut was in 2016, where he performed in K -Lost Small World-. He is now mostly known for his role as Spring Troupe’s Minagi Tsuzuru in Mankai Stage A3, and has appeared in all performances of the franchise up until now. He also performed as Hitomebore in the Love Kome stages, and as Doutoku in the stage adaption of Saiyuki Ibun.
His fragrance is Herbal Note, serious and cool and made up of peppermint, rosemary, marjoram and patchouli essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “A dignified scent rises, gradually giving a soft and warm aroma. It is a fragrance that has a cool and serious impression, and a smile that you can only show to yourself.”
- Birthdate: March 30th, 1995
- Hometown: Miyazaki Prefecture
- Skills & Hobbies: Volleyball, cycling, motorbikes, cars
- Theme colour: Pink
- Fragrance: Floral Note
- Member Site: https://sato-nobunaga.net
- Twitter: @NobunagaSato
- During his high school years, his volleyball team represented his Prefecture
- He claims to be very good at doing laundry
- When he was young, he wanted to be a Formula 1 Racer.
- Coincidentally, his father deals in aromas and essential oils.
Sato Nobunaga debuted as an actor in 2016 in a Parco Produce play, Roshutsukuru. His dip into the 2.5d world was when he joined the cast of Hyper Production Engeki Haikyuu as Shiratorizawa’s Shirabu Kenjirou. He has gone on to appear in shows such as Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu in late 2019, and Kuro to Shiro -purgatorium- in early 2020.
His fragrance is Floral Note, gentle and cool and made up of geranium, lavender, patchouli and bergamot essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The soft and elegant fragrance of the flower invites you and gently wraps it like the earth. Just being together can make you feel happy… a fragrance full of such affection.”
- Birthdate: May 16th, 1995
- Hometown: Saitama Prefecture
- Skills & Hobbies: First Aid, Calligraphy, Hip-hop, Piano, basketball, sword fighting
- Theme colour: Orange
- Fragrance: Oriental Note
- Member Site: https://sakagaki-reizi.net
- Twitter: @reizispacecraft
- He graduated from the Faculty of Economics at Toyo University
- Really likes Disney’s Duffy, and keeps one on his bed.
- He describes himself as a “clown”.
- He says he feels happiest when he is playing games.
Sakagaki Reizi began his career performing in the Chichana Eiyuu shows at Sanrio Puroland, and also acted in the Cardfight Vanguard stages before landing his role as Rokakku’s pun-loving Amane Hikaru in the Prince of Tennis Musicals. Since then, he’s had roles in other productions such as I-Chu and Hiragana Danshi.
His fragrance is Oriental Note, exotic and unique and made up of orange, ylang ylang, sandlewood and vetiver essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The fragrance of flowers full of exoticism rises, leaving calmness like incense. It’s an exciting fragrance that finds charm you didn’t know and takes you to a new world.”
- Birthdate: November 3rd, 1995
- Hometown: Tochigi Prefecture
- Skills & Hobbies: Tennis, extreme vacuuming, hand-stand, one-handed push-up.
- Theme colour: Yellow
- Fragrance: Citrus Note
- Member Site: https://hotta-reo.net
- Twitter: @HR1103official
- He was named after Ultraman Leo.
- People sometimes refer to his behaviour as strange or “alien-like”.
- His motto is “With great power comes great responsibility”, which comes from Spiderman.
- He has a pet Bengal cat, a toy poodle, and a hedgehog.
Like Reizi, Hotta Reo also began his career in the Chichana Eiyuu shows at Sanrio Puroland. His stage career is less high profile than some of the other members but despite this he has appeared in 17 different productions in his four year career, and worked with his fellow TFG member Maekawa Yuuki in the GEKIKKE Stage Shikokku no Ikusabana back in 2018.
His fragrance is Citrus Note, bright and friendly and made up of grapefruit, orange, juniper berry and frankincense essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The fresh citrus scent shines on the heart like the sun and gradually changes to a core scent. A fragrance that fulfills such a desire that everyone wants to love.”
- Birthdate: February 21st 1996
- Hometown: Oita Prefecture
- Skills & Hobbies: Chinese, dance, reading, watching movies, basketball
- Theme colour: Purple
- Fragrance: Balsam Note
- Member Site: https://sakuraba-haruto.net
- Twitter: @rava_hart
- His motto is “Be Original”.
- Every day, he likes to watch an anime episode before he sleeps.
- He says his strong point in housework is cooking
- He was a finalist in the “Mr Chuo Contest” at Chuo University in 2015.
Sakuraba Haruto is the newest member when it comes to his career. His stage debut was as Bokuto Koutaro in Hyper Production Engeki Haikyuu‘s Tokyo no Jin. Since then he has also performed in Starry☆Sky on STAGE and in BURAI2 with his fellow TFG member Maekawa Yuuki.
His fragrance is Balsam Note, original and mysterious and made up of lemon, elemi, frankincense and tonka beans essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The subtle scent gradually becomes heavier and deeper, turning into a noble and mysterious scent. It is a fragrance with such a mysterious charm that makes you want to know the thought of that person hidden in a calm expression for some reason.”
- Birthdate: November 6th, 1993
- Hometown: Osaka
- Skills & Hobbies: Dance, survival games, games
- Theme colour: Green
- Fragrance: Woody Note
- Member Site: https://kent-members.net
- Twitter: @kent_spacecraft
- The actor he admires most is Suzuki Hiroki who he acted with in Touken Ranbu.
- He has a lot of his house plants in his home.
- Claims his strong point is being able to make friends with anyone.
- He is half British, but seems to have been brought up in Japan.
Kento started his career in entertainment as a Johnny’s Junior, but his debut in the stage world was as Fudomine’s Ibu Shinji in the Prince of Tennis Musical‘s 3rd Season. Since then he has made quite a name for himself in the 2.5d world, most famously as Tsurumaru Kuninaga in the Touken Ranbu stageplays. He performed alongside Maekawa Yuuki in the Rice on Stage shows.
His fragrance is Balsam Note, harmonious and healing, and made up of lemon, cypress, juniper berry and hinoki essential oils. The tagline for his fragrance is “The fragrance of the clear trees supports you so that it takes root .I want to always be close to your back… a fragrance with such a sense of security.”
What about their music?
Since 2019, TFG have released two singles: their debut single My Dear Summer, a party tune, and Kamisama Onegai which they described as having a K-Pop sound. With their album release on its way there is a lot of music for you to check out, and I highly recommend that you do. All of their music can be found on both Spotify and Apple Music, so there’s no reason to not give it a try.
Each single has an associated PV for the title song, which you can find on their official Youtube channel here. Their channel also has backstage clips, interviews and other videos, so it’s a great place to start if you want to get to know them better. You can also check out their homepage here for more information about the members, their schedule, and where and how to buy their CDs and goods.
Are you a TFG fan already? If so, who is your favourite member and which is your favourite song? And if this is your first glimpse of them, what are your first impressions? Let me know in the comments or contact me here.